Ledger OpenPGP is an application dedicated to sign encrypted messages through GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG).
This application works on Ledger Nano S, and will soon be implemented on the Ledger Blue. Designed for OpenPGP users, it is classified as a "Developer application" as it requires to know this cryptographic environment and as it is not fully compliant with UI and documentation guidelines.
The private keys used here are not generated by the seed so far. Take care to back them up by yourself. We published an add-on to generate the keys from the seed, but it is still experimental and not fully tested. You can know more about the seeded key generation here.
Using the Ledger OpenPGP application requires:
- to use the Ledger Nano S updated to 1.3.1+
- to know which firmware you run, open the Settings on the Nano S itself and go to Settings > Device > Firmware
- if you do not run at least 1.3.1, update your device following this guide. Take care to have your 24 words as it will reset your device and wipe your seed.
- to use GnuPG to manage PGP
- to install the Ledger OpenPGP application on your Ledger device thanks to the Ledger Manager
- Launch the Ledger Manager (click to see how to install and use it if you don't have it installed yet)
- Connect your Nano S, enter your PIN, and stay on the dashboard.
- At the right bottom of the window, click on "Show developer items"
- Click on the green bottom arrow icon near the OpenPGP logo
- Confirm the installation when required on your device (If you read "Unable to install application" error message it can be displayed for several issues described here.)
- Quit the Ledger Manager
These first steps are only required once.
- then follow this tutorial to manage OpenPGP
This documentation will regularly be improved