When you open your Bitcoin wallet, you are prompted to select
- between Bitcoin and Bitcoin Cash,
and if you select Bitcoin:
- between LEGACY and SEGWIT.
If you click on "I don't know", your legacy Bitcoin wallet will open by default.
HOW TO USE SEGWIT ADDRESSES ?
- If you have a Nano or a HW.1, you need to update to 1.0.3.
- If you have a Nano S, not any update is required.
- Segwit is not available yet for the Blue, but will soon be.
- Launch the Ledger Wallet Bitcoin application
- Connect your device, enter your PIN code
- Open your Bitcoin application on the device itself (only required with a Nano S)
- Disable the "Browser support" setting of this application (only required with a Nano S)
- Select the Bitcoin chain, not Bitcoin Cash*
- Select SEGWIT
- Your Bitcoin wallet opens
- Click on "Receive", a popup opens
- Copy the "Bitcoin address" which is displayed
- Close the "Receive" window
- Click on "Settings" and "blockchains"
- Then you are prompted to the home menu
- Select Bitcoin, not Bitcoin Cash*
- Select LEGACY
- Click on "Send"
- Paste the copied Sewit address on the recipient address field
- Fill in the amount, the fees, and send your transaction
Word of caution to Bitcoin Cash users : NEVER send Bitcoin Cash to a Segwit address generated on the Bitcoin network — you wouldn’t be able to recover your coins.
SEGWIT THIRD PARTY WALLETS
Segwit support for Ledger products is available on:
- GreenAddress (desktop, Android)
- GreenBits (Android).