Nano S firmware upgrade through the Ledger Manager application
The latest firmware version of the Nano S is 1.3.1. Check yours opening the Settings on the Nano S itself: Settings > Device > Firmware
- If you have a previous version of the firmware (1.0, 1.1 or 1.2), make sure that you have in your possession the 24-word backup you copied in your Recovery sheet when you initialized your device. Updating the firmware will wipe your accounts and you will have to recover them, thanks to this backup. Do not attempt a firmware update without your backup available.
- If you already run the 1.3.1 version, you don't have to make any update: the update process would process anyway, but it would be useless. Since this version, the update process won't erase your device.
Here are step by step instructions to update your Nano S:
- Install the Ledger Manager (requires Chrome browser or Chromium), and launch it
The Ledger Manager is a Chrome application built to update your Nano S firmware and to install or remove the applications on the Nano S itself.
- Connect your Nano S, enter your PIN, and stay on the dashboard
- Within the Ledger Manager application (on your PC), select the "Firmwares" tab on the left column, and click on the "Install" green button on the right (see picture below)
The Nano S will require your confirmation:
- Confirm the update on your Nano S (you can check version and fingerprint)
- Wait until the end of the installation of the new firmware. This step may last from few seconds to several minutes.
- Do not unplug the device and wait until the "Welcome" message appears.
- Your Nano S is flashed.
If you had a 1.2 or previous firmware, you need now to recover your configuration: Decline to configure as new device by selecting the cross icon with left button when "Configure as new device ?" is prompted and select “Restore configuration” with Right button. Follow the instructions to re-import your backup.
- Once your device is ready, you must now reinstall the apps you wish to use. Go to to the Applications tab on the Manager, and for each app you wish to install click on the green bottom arrow icon. If the application installation fails, please try first to disconnect your device and reconnect it.
- Your device is now ready and up to date!